Tuesday, October 15, 2013

SARAH



Sarah by J. T. Leroy.

Published: New York: Bloomsbury, 2000.


Sarah is an intensely emotional and grim novel written by J. T. Leroy (real name Laura Albert). The story is narrated by Cherry Vanilla, a twelve-year-old boy who adopts his prostitute mother’s name – Sarah – as he hitchhikes through the truck stops of West Virginia, all the while disguised as a girl. Along his journey, he meets an evil pimp, Le Loup and a cast of bizarre underworld characters. The book caused a sensation after it was revealed that J. T. Leroy was a fictional character made-up by journalist Laura Albert, who had recruited a stand-in to pose as Leroy for public appearances.


Sources

Cover image: Novelist

Citation: Amazon

Annotation: Novelist and Amazon

2 comments:

  1. I am thinking as I look at all these Published Pranks, about the lengths some authors go to, as they have to live a false life to support their fabricated stories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meredith, you're right. Imagine having to live such a public lie! Most of the articles I read, when they were found out, the Authors often say they feel liberated.

    ReplyDelete